One of the absolute most exciting parts of your quince: being able to wear an AMAZING dress!! Your dress, in some ways, is the focus of the quinceanera. All of your friends and family will be eagerly awaiting seeing you in your beautiful gown on your quince. You want to find the perfect quince dress for you– that you feel absolutely fabulous in.
Here are seven tips to consider when you are shopping for quince dresses:
- Do some research: Look and see what’s out there for quince dresses. Do you want a traditional, full quince ball gown? Or, are you looking for something with a more unique, unexpected or different style? Look online and in magazines to see which styles are calling your name the hardest.
- Bring some helpers: But not too many! When you bring a ton of people with you, there will be too many opinions and finding a dress will be really difficult. It is also fun to keep your dress a secret until your big day! Definitely bring one or two friends or family members, whose style sense you trust. You will want to bring your mom, sister, cousin, and/or friend to help out.
- Know your budget: Go into your dress hunt knowing what realistically fits into your budget. It will only cause you great disappointment to try on dresses that are, for example, double your budget. Also, make sure to find out the payment policies of the store. Many stores offer payment plans, requiring a certain percentage for a down payment, and payments thereafter until your dress is paid in full.
- Understand the importance of the top: The top of your dress is particularly important. Why? Because a huge percentage of the photos taken during your quince will be from the waist up. Make sure that the top of your dress offers as beautiful a look as the bottom!
- Try on as many quince dresses as you need to: Don’t pressure yourself to find the perfect dress quickly. You may need to visit several shops, and try on many dresses, to find a winner. When you have the perfect dress on, it will make you feel so excited for your big day and your opportunity to wear it. Also–do try on some different styles and silhouettes An OK dress on a hangar can look stunning on you (or vice versa)!
- Sizing Warning: Formal dress sizing can be different than regular clothing sizing. Do not be surprised if you have to go up a size or two for your quince dress–this is completely normal! You may need to try on several quince dresses to get a good idea of which size you are. Don’t focus on the dress size, instead, focus on the fit and how it makes you feel–regardless of the number on the label.
- Ask Yourself: Can I walk in this dress? Can I comfortably sit down? Is it cute from the side? Does this dress go nicely with my theme? Be honest with yourself–you want to look fabulous but you also need to be comfortable and not self-conscious.
Most important–you want to feel amazing in your dress. Give yourself plenty of time to find your quince dress, and this will likely be one of your very favorite parts of the planning process. After all, who doesn’t love playing dress up and trying on gorgeous dresses?!
My Perfect Quince