I have been wanting to write about this theme for awhile now! The Arabian Night theme is a truly rich and decadent quinceanera theme. This theme is about creating a grand and extravagant evening in the Middle Eastern desert. You could use Aladdin for inspiration~ think magic carpet, desert, pillows, rich colors.
If you want to do this theme, I recommend collecting your decorations early, because this theme requires a lot of decorations to create a super luxurious look. Find out how I would create an Arabian Nights theme~
How to Design an Arabian Nights Theme
Color Scheme: This theme requires deep, rich colors. A few color scheme ideas: purple, pink and gold; purple, red and blue; purple, blue, and turquoise; red, orange and gold; blue, gold and pink; or purple, blue and deep green. Or pick your own combination of deep, jewel-toned colors.
Venue: This theme would work extremely well with an outdoor tent. A large white tent (or whatever color you can get)–or several tents set together to create one large reception area. The tent is going to go far to create your desert theme.
Don’t worry–if you are having your party indoors, you can still pull it off. Whether you have your Arabian Nights party at a fancy ballroom or a standard banquet room, it’s going to be all about the decorations with this theme.
The Dress: Go with an extravagant dress, in one or more of your colors. Look for sequins, embroidery, rhinestones and intricate beading. I picked out some dresses below that I think would work nicely with some of the color schemes I listed above.
Quince Court: Have your court complement your dress. So if your colors are red/purple and blue, and your dress is purple and blue, have your court in red. Or if your dress is red, have your damas and chambelanes in a combination of purple and blue. With this theme, it’s really important for you and your damas to wear some really stunning jewelry. The women of the desert are elegant and opulant– think incredibly fancy and ornate. This doesn’t mean you need expensive jewelry, but you definitely want to find some nice costume jewelry pieces.
Invitations: Your invitations will set the tone and vibe for your guests, and introduce them to your theme. Check for Arabian Nights theme details, like pretty and detailed designs, camels, magic lanterns, palm trees and so on. Any of the designs below can be completely customized into a quinceanera invitation!
Decorations: Here are some keywords to get you looking in the right direction: camels, jewels, pillows, vibrant fabrics, lamps, lanterns, tents, palm trees, colorful jars and candles. There are really elaborate Arabian Nights decorating sets online— or you could get creative if you have the time and talent. There are plenty of decoration you could DIY for this theme, as long as you have enough supplies, time and help!
Here’s a few ideas and tips for the Arabian Nights theme decorations:
1. Tent: a tent would be an excellent venue for an Arabian Nights theme. Or, you can use a small tent or two to help with the vibe. You could make a photo booth in a tent, or maybe have your guests walk through a tent at the entrance to your party!
2. Colorful fabrics: draped everywhere! Fabric draped from the ceiling, colorful and mismatched table linens, chair covers, beautiful fabric draped exotically on your cake table. Tip: start cllecting fabrics early, and see what you can borrow from friends. Satin, brocade, sequins, velvet, silk, embroidered fabric, fabric with jewels on it–you are going for beauty and luxury here and not exactly matchy-matchy.
3. Lighting: lighting will help make your theme more dramatic. You can dim the lights in your venue, and use wall lighting to help light up your room and give a night feel. You can also use string lights to achieve a starlit night.
4. Lanterns/Jars with candles: these will make nice centerpieces for your tables. There a a lot of DIY ideas for this on Pinterest, check one simple tutorial out here.
5. Palm trees: place these around your party to create the desert feeling. You could also place smaller ones on your tables for centerpieces, or palm leaves/branches.
6. Pillows: Fancy, jewel-toned pillows in your colors could also be incorporated into a centerpiece, or you could make a fun side area of your party for relaxing.
The Cake: Make your cake an elaborate one, to match the rest of your colorful and decadent party. I’ve seen examples with “pillows” stacked on each other, and others will fancy, intricate details. I think that a cake works very well with this theme, versus cupcakes.
The Food: Serve food you like –traditional quinceanera fare, like mole, birria, etc. should work just fine. The one thing I will suggest, is to offer some traditional Middle Eastern style appetizers as your party is getting started, or even after the meal to change it up. Some ideas are baklava, hummus, and lamb kebabs. Have a couple servers, or solicit volunteers in advance, to carry trays around offering food to your guests. The desert is known for its grand hospitality, and this gesture would be a really nice touch for this theme.
Party Favors: Something simple, like candles, would be a nice reminder of your party for your guests to take with them. You could also buy/make jeweled votive holders, which can also serve as part of your table decor. Another option: set up a candy buffet and have the candy double as favors. The pretty apothecary jars used in candy buffets will help support the Arabian Nights theme.
Special Touches: If you want to do something that everyone will remember, hire belly dancers to perform a routine for your guests. That is something I don’t think anyone will forget!
The Arabian Nights theme is an elaborate and intense theme. You will want to start collecting decorations early for this theme so that you aren’t overwhelmed. You can also look into decorations rental companies in your area, and compare prices between buying and renting.
What color scheme would you pick for an Arabian Nights quinceanera theme?